Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Tick Tock, Tick Tock

I've been married for two and a half years now and so I guess it's only natural that our friends and family would want to know when we are planning on having a baby. When our friends started asking us when we were having a baby, I would respond by scratching my head and saying, "hmmmm, a baby?" In essence, my reply was a question to the question if that makes any sense at all. Now, it would be one thing if I had given this reply or quasi question-answer immediately after marriage. After all, most women don't think about a baby immediately after marriage. But this wasn't the case with me because I have been happily married for over 2 1/2 years and I'm still unsure as to this whole baby thing. The fact remains that I definitely want to have children. The question is when do I want to have them? And as to this, I haven't quite figured out the answer to this question.

Now the funny thing is that I always envisioned myself a young mom and had actually believed I would have my first child at the young, ripe age of 27. Well, this did not occur, mainly because I didn't get married until this age and also because I did not feel anywhere close to being ready.

Which brings me to my next point - what is this biological clock that everyone refers to? Seriously, all these women at my job when asked about their first child and the planning, their responses are, "Oh! I just knew!" And when I prod further into how they knew, their response is even more illuminating - "You just know when its time." Hmmmm. Yeah. Okay. Does that mean that there is a timer that goes off, hence the biological clock phrase and with that comes the green light that gives the go ahead to try and become a parent or is there more to this?


*******************************************


Okay, fast forward two months: something miraculous has happened. I was in India and my period was dramatically late. Usually my period is like clockwork allowing me to accurately predict when it will come . So, it was only natural that I panicked after 3 days of no period. I talked to my uterus trying to cajole it to start the crimson wave and then something amazing happened - I actually wanted to be pregnant!

After five days of no period, I was convinced that I was indeed prego. I began patting my belly, envisioning a little embryo floating around and swimming. I started fantasizing about my baby, what it would be like, how I would tell my husband about the exciting news, my delivery, ect. And when I finally got my period on that sixth day, I was a little crushed. Okay, I was more than a little crushed, I was really sad that I wasn't pregnant.

So I guess this is it.......... I have reached the moment of truth - you just know when you know and I think I finally know....that I'm ready for a baby!

No comments: